Friday, September 7, 2012

Enlightening Photography

– Raising Awareness –
All photos: L A Promotional Design & Photography

My incredibly thoughtful friend, Tricia, posted that she was holding a prayer vigil in recognition of the First Ever Lung Cancer Survivors Day, August 1, 2012. 


Upon reading that the event included a balloon launch, I immediately contacted her about the dangers of deflated balloons and their effect on wildlife and the environment, with this very informative link:


What goes up must come down, and millions of land and sea animals view shriveled balloons as food, ingest them, or feed them to their babies.  Many get tangled in the string and suffocate.  


After reading about the hazards, Tricia decided that candles and bubbles were the way to go!  (I held my breath as the group did launch a sky lantern, which the description swears is 100% biodegradable... I can only hope)


Attending this event was very educational for me, as I spent an evening talking with the most fearless, courageous people I have ever met – some cancer survivors, some in the battle of their lives.  I learned that anyone with lungs can develop this cancer, at any age, even though It carries the stigma of being a "smoker's disease".  It usually goes undetected for way too long, and this type of research needs much more funding!

So with this post, I am attempting to bring awareness to these life and death issues, involving our fellow beings. 




No comments:

Post a Comment